Large Format Map Printing
This printer was made possible by a grant from Academic Resources & Computing Committee and matching funds from the Stewart Education Foundation.
USGS and other government maps
Maps will be printed on a cost recovery basis for WSU faculty, staff and students and community users.
4 feet and under
- Regular: $5.00
- Water Resistant: $7.00
Over 4 feet
- Regular: $5.00
- Water Resistant: $9.00
Educational Use for WSU Faculty, Staff, and Students
Posters for presentations, art projects, and other educational printing.
- Regular: $5.00 per linear foot
- Water Resistant: $7.00 per linear foot
Very large print jobs may incure additional costs.
All other users and purposes
- Regular: $7.00 per square foot
- Water Resistant: $10.00 per square foot
- All files should be PDF or PowerPoint (pptx) format
- If your file is not in PDF or PowerPoint format, email the file and we'll see if we can print it.
- Check your file! No changes can be made during the printing process.
- You are responsible for the size and layout of your document.
- To set up an appointment, email Kathy Payne (email@example.com), Lonna Rivera (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jay Jex (email@example.com).
- Want to know the price in advance? Send us the dimensions of what you want printed.
- Not sure of the dimensions? Send us a copy of the file and we'll figure it out.
- Where possible, we'll take walk-ins. However, to guarantee your file gets printed, set up an appointment.
- As with so many other things, waiting until the last minute is not a good idea.
- You need to allow at least 5 minutes for the ink to dry before rolling the print job.
- Payment must be made before printing is done.
- We will email (or give to walk-ins) a payment form.
- Pay for the printing at the Circulation Services desk, lower level.
- Bring the receipt to your appointment.
- Your file will be printed.
Faculty & Staff
- if paying yourself, use the student procedure above.
- If using a cost code:
- Please submit a completed Weber State University Funds Transfer Form to the person doing your printing.
- You may call or email for pricing in advance (see contanct information above)
- Once the transfer form is sent to Accunting Services a copy will be mailed to the person designated on the form.
Maps and Atlases
Maps in the Library
Most maps in the Stewart Library's Map Collection are published by the United States government and are distributed to the library through the university's participation in the U.S. Depository Library Program. Almost all maps of the United States in the Map Collection are produced by or in cooperation with the U.S. Geological Survey. Maps are located in the Reference Department, Middle Level North. Many maps are indexed in the library's online catalog. You can limit your search to Atlases/Maps.
Topographic maps of the United States are arranged alphabetically by State and by Quadrangle name. Each quadrangle is named according to a prominent geographic feature. The topographic maps are located on the Middle level - North in map cases.
For Utah Maps see the 7.5 minute Quadrangle Names Map attached to the top of the map cabinets.
The Index to Topographic and other Map Coverage are guides to individual quadrangle maps available for each state and are located on top of the south map cabinet (green booklets). Look for the STATE INDEX sign. Use indexes to find the maps available for each state, then find the appropriate state drawer and locate the named map. The Catalog of Topographic and other Published Maps for each state are located in the same area (brown booklets) and contain a catalog of USGS published maps for each state. We have many, but not all of the state maps.
Topographical Map Series available at the Library
1:24,000 scale, 7.5 minute. All states filed alphabetically. Look at the signage
1:50,000 scale. Supplements the 7.5 series. See the Index to 1:50,000 scale maps on the south map cabinet.
I:62,500 scale, 15 minute - Utah only.
1:100,000 scale, 30 x 60 minute - See the appropriate state's Index to Topographic and other Map Coverage. These are also filed alphabetically by state.
1:250,000 scale - All states and Antarctica, Canada and Peru.
1:500,000 scale - state maps.
United States maps of various scales
Map Locator "Using open source software and the Google Maps programming interface, the Map Locator and Downloader allows customers to find the topographic maps they need, by searching zip code, address, or navigating on an interactive map. Users can pan, zoom, change the map to see satellite imagery or a seamless USGS topographic map view, order printed maps or download a scanned map image in GeoPDF® format." Guide for using the Map Locator from BYU.
USGS GEOLOGIC SERIES AND HYDROLOGIC MAPS
Location: Black Filing Cabinets - Reference, Middle Level North
|C||Coal Investigations||I 19.85:C|
|GP||Geophysical Investigations||I 19.87:GP|
|GQ||Geologic Quadrangle||I 19.88:GQ|
|H||Hydrologic Units||Filed by State|
|HA||Hydrologic Investigations||I 19.89:HA|
|I||Miscellaneous Investigations Studies||I 19.91:I|
|L||Land Use and Cover||I 19.112:L|
|MF||Miscellaneous Field Studies||I 19.113:MF|
|MR||Mineral Investigations||I 19.90:MR|
|OC||Oil and Gas Investigations Charts||I 19.92:OC|
|OM||Oil and Gas Investigations Maps||I 19.93:OM|
|SIM||Scientific Investigations||I 19.91/3:|
To find USGS Geologic and Hydrologic Maps:
GeoRef - (Access through the Library's Databases By Title Page) Database for worldwide literature of the geosciences. 1785 to present for North America; 1933 to present for international literature Updated 24 times a year. Search tips: Select Advanced Searching Mode. Select map as a type of material. Type in search terms, for example Richfield and Utah. Select the appropriate title and note map series and text number in the report number filed of the record. You can also search by coordinates. This is available to WSU students only.
Guide to USGS Publications - Located on Government Document Reference, Middle Level North - A cumulative guide that contains map series and papers published since the inception of the USGS. This guide contains complete area, subject, coordinate and author indexes. Catalogs more than 10,000 thematic maps and professional papers published by the United States Geological Survey.
National Geologic Map Database -Geoscience resource for maps and related data about:
geology, hazards, earth resources, geophysics, geochemistry, geochronology, paleontology, and marine geology.
USGS Publications Warehouse - Contains bibliographic citations to over 70,000 publications and thematic map content for over 40,000 publications. USGS numbered series began in 1880. Links to many download and purchase options.
New Publications of the U.S. Geological Survey - Search by year, month week.
Map Locator - Use this to find Geologic Series maps for purchase from the Map Store.
USGS Map Store - Maps, federal recreation passes, scientific reports, educational materials.
EarthExplorer The U.S. Geological Survey's (USGS) Earth Explorer Web site provides access to millions of land-related products, including the following: satellite images from Landsat, advanced very high resolution radiometer (AVHRR), and Corona data sets, aerial photographs from the National Aerial Photography Program, NASA, and USGS data sets, and digital cartographic data from digital elevation models, digital line graphs, digital raster graphics, and digital orthophoto quadrangles.
Maps and Atlases
Many other maps and atlases can be found on the Atlas table and in the Reference and Map collections