Steps for Finding Journal Articles
Before using an article database, first develop a list of search terms and put them together into a search statement using the following steps:
1. Define your research topic
Example: Find research articles on appropriate periodontal treatment for a pregnant woman
2. Identify keywords.
periodontal periodontitis periodontology
pregnant pregnancy pregnancies
treatment treatments therapy therapies management care
3. Use truncation symbols (*) for variant word endings
pregnan* pregnant, pregnancy, pregnancies
periodont* periodontal, periodontology
4. Combine concepts using Boolean operators.
OR => combines similar terms together
treatment or therap* or management or care
AND => combines different concepts together
periodont* and pregnan* and (treatment or therap* or management or care)
Use parentheses to separate the 'or' operation
5. Search the article databases, such as MEDLINE, CINAHL and other medical related databases using the search statement developed above. Mark or tag references that seem most appropriate and print/email/save documents.
Article databases provide references, abstracts and sometimes the full article from journals, magazines, books and other published literature.
- MEDLINE (EbscoHost) The complete MEDLINE database from 1966 to the present. MEDLINE provides references and abstracts to the research journal literature in all areas of medicine, including nursing and dentistry.
- PubMed A freely available MEDLINE database (1966-present) with references, abstracts, and links to related articles.
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature)
References and abstracts to the nursing and allied health literature including articles, books and dissertations from 1982 to the present time. Some full text articles.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
Over 500 scholarly full text journals covering the health and medical areas. Abstracts and references for over 500 additional journals.
- EbscoHost Medical Databases - Ability to search CINAHL, MEDLINE and other full-text medical/health databases with one search.
Comprehensive index to scholarly literature in psychology and related fields. Includes references and abstracts to articles. 1887-Present.
- ERIC References and abstracts
to education publications including some complete articles.
- Sociological Abstracts - Abstracts to social sciences research literature.
- Credo Reference- Provides online access to reference resources, including:
- Mosby's Dental Dictionary
- Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, & Health Professions
- many other general medical reference sources